I was recently tagged by Charmed Charlee to take part in The Beauty Blogger Tag, I don't often to tag posts, but I thought it was quite interesting, so wanted to share with you all!
Why did you start blogging and how long have you been blogging for?
I began blogging in 2012 after I'd been reading beauty and fashion blogs for a few months, and also watching beauty Youtuber's! It became quite a hobby of mine, so much that I decided to start my own blog to join in the fun. I've really enjoyed it so far, found some great fellow bloggers too, and can't wait to see what the future has in store for me and my little blog!
Whose blog did you fall in love with first?
I think this would be the answer for most people - Zoella! I was particularly fond of her life and fashion posts, and loved her cute and simple blog design too. Other than Zoella's blog, I actually became familiar with the blogging world through Charmed Charlee! I met Charlee at Halesowen College, and I first started by watching a few of her Youtube videos, before discovering her blog - which is brilliant, and I'd definitely recommend you visit her if you haven't before!
What was the first blogosphere hyped about product that you bought? Was it worth the hype?
It has to be the Naked Palettes! I should imagine that literally everyone in the beauty blogging world knows of/owns at least one of these gorgeous palettes! I never really used "high end" make up products before because I always tried to find a budget dupe, however my Fiance has bought me Naked and Naked 2 as gifts over the past couple of years, which I am very grateful for, and I'm glad I've been able to try these palettes, they really are worth the hype!
What are your five favourite things about blogging and being a Beauty Blogger?
- Having my own little project to build upon - Basically, my life gets pretty boring, I have a dead end office job, which is very mundane and I do the same thing day in day out. My blog is my own little project and its where I get to communicate with others with the same interests and also where I can show my creative side where I don't normally get chance to. I especially like the design element of blogging, you may have noticed that I'm always changing my layout etc! What I'm trying to say is, it's nice to have something to be proud of and which I've created!
- The Blogging Community - It's always nice to find other people with the same interests as yourself, and the Blogging community is absolutely amazing, there's always someone to chat to, whether it be commenting on each others blog posts, having a chat on twitter, or even if you get to go to a blogger meet-up and meet these people face-to-face (unfortunately I've not managed to do this yet but hope to in the future... hint hint West Midlands Bloggers!)
- Design - The first thing that will catch my eye and encourage me to follow a blog is the design/layout and clear, large photographs. I'm no expert and don't claim to be either, but I'm always researching new ways to improve my blog using html to adjust the design and add little extras!
- Discovering new products & brands - Before I began reading blogs/ blogging I was very much a tomboy, wasn't too fussed about keeping up with fashion or buying/applying makeup. I would literally just have a small carry bag with 1 foundation, 1 eyeshadow palette and 1 mascara. I have since discovered so many new products and I especially love "dupe" posts where I can find a budget version of a higher end product - always love a bargain! Because I read so many blogs on a daily basis, my "to buy" list is always growing, and its great to get different opinions on products before buying too!
- Photography - Anyone who knows me will know that I take a camera EVERYWHERE I go, I love to photograph nature and landscapes while I'm out and about, but I've also been trying to learn more tips to improve my photo quality on my blog photos too.
What have you learnt from being a Beauty Blogger?
My makeup knowledge and capabilities were absolutely awful before I became familiar with beauty blogs and blogging, as I already mentioned I had like 1 foundation, eyeshadow and mascara before, and now I have hundreds of products, so I've learnt a lot, I didn't even use brushes to apply makeup! I've also learnt the importance of good skincare and regime too. Not to mention I've learnt a fair bit about html coding and design too.
Have you changed anything since becoming a Beauty Blogger?
I've changed a lot of things since becoming a beauty blogger, for example the way I apply my makeup with the correct brushes and tools etc. I've also changed my skincare too. I've also learnt how to find good dupes for high end products which are more on my budget level.
What advice would you give to a Beauty Blogger just starting out?
- Find the right name for your blog!
- Make your blog design clear and simple but eye-catching (there are lots of blog designers out there if you need a little help with this!
- Use good quality, large photographs (nobody likes small pictures you need to squint to see!)
- Start how you mean to go on, set realistic goals - if you know you're only going to be able to blog a couple of days a week then start that way. Rather than being too enthusiastic to begin with and then it becoming a choar or running out of ideas after a week or so of blogging every day.
- Make sure you're enjoying what you're doing and writing about!
- Always give your honest opinion, that's what beauty blogs are for!
What are your top 5 makeup brands?
- Max Factor
Recommend your top 5 beauty products
- Max Factor Clump Defy Mascara - Black Waterproof
- Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation - Shade 53
- Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain - Lovesick
- Urban Decay Naked & Naked 2 Palettes
- MUA Heaven & Earth Eye Palette
Sarah - Morrall Of The Story
Heather - Of Beauty & Nothingness
Amy - A Little Boat Sailing
Stacey - Beautiful Solutions
Amie - Belle Amie
Stephanie - Hope, Freedom, Love
Charlotte - Confessions Of A Small Town Girl